JOIN THE CHOIR
From the President
Dear Choir Candidate,
I admire the commitment of choir members in bringing others joy through music. They use every opportunity to share the gift of music and prepare weekly at their Thursday rehearsals. Members are enriched musically, spiritually and build life-long friendships.
The 2020 season is designed to be “the best yet.” The choir continues to excel both musically and organizationally with a clear vision of bringing the best of choral music to the community by involving the most talented and dedicated musicians. The Heritage Choir is widely recognized for enthusiastic and artistic performances to packed audience delight.
If you are interested in joining the choir, we welcome all ages and backgrounds.
Geri Rhodes, Choir President
These guidelines are intended as a source of information and guidance for all choir members.
Musicians who desire to join the choir will be invited to sing with the choir for a few rehearsals, and then:
- Complete sign and submit a formal application.
- Read and agree to the Choir General Membership Policies and Guidelines.
- Successfully complete an in-person vocal audition.
- Receive approval for membership from the Choir Board of Directors.
HEALTH and SAFETY:
Singing with the Heritage Choir is stimulating, invigorating and uplifting – at the same time, it is rigorous and physically demanding.
- Long periods (up to 30 minutes) of standing are required during rehearsals and performances.
- Climbing and descending steep stairs is often required.
- Considerable walking (up to a block or more) is frequently necessary.
- Choir applicants must be able to meet these physical demands without help or assistance and demonstrate their ability to a choir medical advisor.
Individuals should honestly assess their own personal health and physical condition in meeting the demands of choir membership.
- Dues. Choir dues are currently $140.00 per year, payable $35.00 per quarter. Statements are issued to each choir member quarterly. Dues are waived for Students.
- Music will not be distributed to any member whose dues become delinquent for two quarters (180 days).
- Discounts & Gift Cards. Various choir arranged concert ticket sales, business gift cards and discounts are available to choir members to help with financial obligations.
- Tours. Travel with the choir is optional. Each choir member is responsible for his or her own travel expenses.
- Rehearsal Schedule. The normal Choir rehearsal schedule is:
- Thursdays 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturdays 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. – as scheduled by Choir core musical leadership (i.e. Artistic Director and Principle Conductor).
- Rehearsal Schedule. The normal Choir rehearsal schedule is:
- Dress rehearsals – as scheduled by core musical leadership – generally one day prior to performances.
- Concert call time rehearsals – generally 2 hours prior to performances.
- Minimum Attendance. A minimum attendance of 75% is expected and required at all rehearsals and performances.
- Excused Absences. Excused absences can be acquired in advance through Section Leaders. Excused absences, however, will count against the 75% minimum attendance requirement.
- Attendance below 75%. Attendance and/or excused absences falling below 75% will preclude singing in the next scheduled performance. Exceptions must be approved by the Choir core musical leadership.
- Unexcused Absences. Four consecutive weeks of un-excused absences will be considered as a resignation. If this occurs, all music and Choir owned wardrobe must be turned in and any outstanding dues paid in full. Petitions for exceptions must be approved by the Board.
- All wardrobe items are standardized. Do not wear wardrobe items, including jewelry and ties, for anything but Choir performances.
- Remember, whenever you are wearing choir apparel, including the name badge or shirt, you are representing the Heritage Choir.
- If there are any problems with any wardrobe item, please contact the appropriate committee member for help.
- Wearing your name badge at choir rehearsals and choir-sponsored activities, except for performances, is encouraged. Place name badge on your left side.
A wardrobe committee directs choir wardrobe matters. Wardrobe items are to be purchased by each choir member. New members should contact their Wardrobe Coordinator as soon as possible – well in advance of any performance.
Women’s Coordinator/Seamstress: RaNae Ottesen 435-674-2383 or 435-313-4367
Jewelry Coordinator: Shawna Poulton 435-313-3951
Men’s Coordinator: Evelyn Collins 801-390-0131
Women’s outfits will be ordered. Samples are available at the choir office to try on.
Royal Blue Top $45/$50 for larger sizes
Royal Blue Skirt $43/$48
Glitter Black Outfit $135/150
Silver hoop earrings $3
Rhinestone set $8
Red scarf $7
Long sleeved red shirt $25/$28
The following items may be purchased at Adrian’s, 435 No. 1680 E. Contact Dave Ferguson at 435-628-4224. Prices may be changed by vendor.
Black Tuxedo Jacket $85 52 & up: $97.75
Black Tux pant $35 49 W & up: $40
Wing Tux Shirt $20 4X & up: $25
Studs and cuff links $5
Black microfiber shirt $20
Ivory Bow Tie $7
Red bowtie $7
Ivory Tux Coat $94 reg $175 (Available at BUY4LESS Tuxedo)
The following items are available at Christensen’s:
Navy Blazer $80/$90
Gray Slacks $55/$59
The following items are purchased from the choir. Contact Evelyn Collins to get them.
Black Bow Tie $7
Royal Blue Bow Tie $7
Black Pocket Square No charge
Royal Blue Pocket Square No charge
Long sleeved red shirt $25 3X & up: $28
CARE OF WARDROBE:
Men: Dry-clean tuxes and ties as needed. Please hang between performances.
Women: Air out after wearing. Hand launder sparingly all wardrobe items in mild detergent that has no bleach and hang dry. Do not rub, wring or twist to retain sparkle.
LEAVING THE CHOIR
All wardrobe items are to be worn only for choir performances. Please consider donating your wardrobe to the choir. All items should be clean, pressed and hung on hangers and returned to the wardrobe committee.
MUSIC. The music scores are owned by the Choir. They are copyrighted and cannot be copied or duplicated – except as directed by the Music Librarian. Choir owned music is not available for loan.
- Students. A $25.00 deposit is required. Upon leaving the Choir, this deposit will be refunded if all music scores have been returned.
- Distribution and Care. An individual music number will be assigned to each choir member and distribution made by the Music Librarian. Choir members are responsible for the proper care and accountability of assigned music.
- Use erasable pencils only to mark music. Do not use highlighters or pens.
- Do not cut music in any way, except for the use of a three-hole punch.
- Practice. Personal practice is expected. Weekly rehearsals are not sufficient for most members to learn the music.
- Turn in music on the date requested. Choir members are individually responsible to return music as requested. Music Librarians may grant a requested 7-day grace period for extenuating circumstances. Members who have not turned in music within the grace period will be assessed a $5 penalty fee. At the end of 30 days, if the music has still not been turned in, members will be billed for the replacement cost of the music. The librarians are authorized to withhold new music if music has not been returned.
STANDARDS AND PROTOCAL:
Remember that as a member of the Southern Utah Heritage Choir, everything we do is a reflection on the Choir and its sacred mission.
- Attention. Be vigilant and alert to all cues from the conductor. Talking, whispering or visiting during rehearsals is inappropriate and inconsiderate to the Director and to those around you.
- Support. Support the musical leadership of the choir: Artistic Director, Conductor(s) and accompanists. Minimize questions during rehearsal. (Most questions and/or concerns should be directed to Section Leaders who will convey these matters to the Music Committee.) Willingly comply with the seating directions of your Section Leader.
- Cell Phones. Turn off or silence all cell phone ringers; excuse yourself and leave the platform if you must use your phone.
- Allergies. Because of allergies, please do not wear perfumes, colognes, aftershaves, or scented lotions at rehearsals and performances.
- Courtesy. Please be cognizant of the needs of other members around you; be patient and as helpful as possible.
- Sitting and Standing. While sitting, keep your music folder closed on your lap, binder edge facing the audience. Upon cue from the Conductor, stand or sit as graciously as possible. Choir members are expected to stand during performances. Exception is granted to those confined to wheelchairs. Additional exceptions may temporarily be granted to those with health problems – upon submission of a “Performance Sitting Request” and approval by the Board. The initial sitting request must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the succeeding concert. Seating is restricted to the designated and available chairs.
- Movement. Movement on stage draws the attention of the audience. Do not let your head or body beat time with the music or sway from side to side. Avoid unnecessary movements and keep your hands away from your face, hair, etc.
- Jackets. Men’s jackets are to be buttoned throughout all performances.
- Applause. Do not applaud guest artists or other performers, unless the director or conductor applauds first.
- Illness. If you have a coughing spell or feel ill, quietly slip out of your seat and off the platform until the problem is resolved. Return when there is a break in the program and it is appropriate.
LEAVE OF ABSENCE (LOA):
Requests for leave of absence (Regular or Extended) must be submitted in writing to the Board for approval. Forms are available in the office, on the web site, or from section leaders.
- Regular leave of absence may be granted for up to 90 days once per choir season.
- Dues will be assessed during the leave period and must be current prior to return.
- Music must be turned in before leave begins.
- Applicant’s music number may change during absence.
- Extended leave of absence may be granted for special needs (i.e. missions, schooling, etc.).
- Dues will not be assessed during an extended leave of absence.
- Music and choir owned wardrobe is to be turned in.
- Applicant’s music number may change during absence.
- Exceptions. Exceptions may be granted by the Board.
- Returning from LOA Returning LOA members should notify the Board approximately two weeks prior to returning to the Choir, so that records can be reviewed, and music made available.
All travel arrangements are made by a contracted travel agency. The Choir or its travel partners make no guarantee of handicapped accessibility to facilities, venues, and performances and tour attractions.
- Medical facilities and health care personnel are frequently lacking in tour countries.
- A Doctor’s evaluation should be considered.
- All members should assure that they have adequate medical insurance coverage. Supplemental insurance packages are available for purchase through the tour contractor.
- Travelers must be physically fit and healthy for participation in tours, for their own safety and for the comfort and enjoyment of others. Extensive walking (up-hill and down-hill) and stairway climbing, and descending may be necessary.
- If for health or mobility reasons, special assistance is needed to negotiate the demands and rigors of the tour, the member is required to bring with them a non-choir guest traveler who is physically capable of providing any and all needed assistance.
The Applause organization is a key source of operating funds for the Choir. Members are encouraged to make personal (or business) tax deductible donations to the Choir through Applause and are also encouraged to assist in donation solicitations.
UNITED FOR A COMMON GOAL:
All Choir Members are urged to unite in faith and make our choir a regular part of personal prayers. We cannot succeed in our mission without God’s help. It has been said, “Music is the reward of the righteous and the occupation of angels. Music is but the exalted expression of love, harmony and worship.”
Want to Audition?
Fill out the form below and download the audition music to schedule an audition! Our membership committee will reach out shortly after submission.